Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Review of Witchstruck by Victoria Lamb

Title: Witchstruck
Author: Victoria Lamb
Source: Book Blogger Meet Up
Series: Yes
Rating: 1/5








Goodreads Summary:
If she sink, she be no witch and shall be drowned. If she float, she be a witch and must be hanged.
Meg Lytton has always known she is different, that she bears a dark and powerful gift. But in 1554 England, in service at Woodstock Palace to the banished Tudor princess Elizabeth, it has never been more dangerous to practise witchcraft. Meg knows she must guard her secret carefully from the many suspicious eyes watching over the princess and her companions. One wrong move could mean her life, and the life of Elizabeth, rightful heir to the English throne. With witchfinder Marcus Dent determined to have Meg's hand in marriage, and Meg's own family conspiring against the English queen, there isn't a single person Meg can trust. Certainly not the enigmatic young Spanish priest Alejandro de Castillo, despite her undeniable feelings. But when all the world turns against her, Meg must open her heart to a dangerous choice.


 I got this book at the book blogger meet up in my goody bag so I decided I should read and review it. This book was a quick read and I was able to read it in two days, and my edition was 320 pages. I think this is a book that can be consumed in one sitting but I had a hard time concentrating on this book. I found myself losing interest and when I put this book down I was not in a rush to pick it back up. 

The summary of this novel grabbed my attention and it was an interesting concept of having a witch as a worker in princess Elizabeth's household at the palace she is banished to by her sister, but the characters felt one sided and super shallow, especially Meg.  She was such a frustrating character and she acted a lot younger than sixteen. She is suppose to be a witch in training, but she acts very childish and acts rashly without thinking anything through. I can understand teenagers acting rash, but for the time period this book is set in I expected more from this character and her attitude to be set more to the time period.  

There was also a lot of aspects to the story that really irked me, the biggest one being the "romance" between Meg and Alejandro who is a priest in training from Spain. She first responds by wanting him to get closer to him and break is vows as a priest, but when he allows her to get close to him she pushes him away but then acts upset when he talks to anyone else.

I unfortunately did not like this book at all. I really wanted to like it but I really could not get into this story and I will at this time not be continuing with this series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment