Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer- Michelle Hopkin

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hopkin
Format: Hard cover
Source: Library
Library: 5/5





Goodreads Summary:
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.


This is one of my favourite books of 2011 without a doubt. It is a psychological thriller that I finished in two sittings. I could have easily finished it in one. It was so good that I didn’t want to put it down. The pages flew by. At first I was thinking it was just another cover with a girl in a dress which seems to be a popular trend but once I actually had a physical copy to look at, I discovered how wrong I was with my first assumption of this book. The cover shows Mara who appears to be drowning but we see someone’s arms around her, is he saving her and keeping her head above water or is he trying to pull her under....
Where to start with Mara, she is an amazing character. She wakes up in a hospital with no recollection of what happened the night of the accident where she lost her three friends. She tries to make the night come back to her but her memory refuses to cooperate. Her family starts over in a new town in a new school. Her family is so supportive and sweet. They all pitch in to help and try to make Mara feel as normal as possible as she feels like she is drowning then she meets Noah who is amazing. He brings out her sarcastic side and makes her smile when none else seems to be able to.
I loved every character in this novel but I have to extend credit to Daniel. I notice that siblings and other secondary characters often do not appear often but with Daniel and the other people in Mara’s family I was impressed by the amount they were incorporated into the story. Hodkin made the book more realistic, she gave Mara’s family plenty of page space which made this book much creepier in an amazing way.
Oh Noah. Such an amazing character, he made me have a slight book crush on him. He saves Mara from herself. Noah has his own secrets which he shares with Mara is his own funny and sarcastic way. Mara and Noah played off each other so well; they balanced each other out and the banter between them having me reading as fast as possible so I could find out what happened next.
I could gush about this book forever. I cannot wait for a sequel. What did you think? Who was your favourite character and why? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment