Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman- Lily Blake


Title: Snow White and the Huntsman
Author: Lily Blake
Source: Borrowed
Series: No
Rating: 4/5














A breathtaking new vision of a legendary tale. Snow White is the only person in the land fairer than the evil queen who is out to destroy her. But what the wicked ruler never imagined is that the young woman threatening her reign has been training in the art of war with a huntsman who was dispatched to kill her.

I don’t know what has gotten into me but I have been reading a lot of fairy tales and re-telling lately. This one I would not have picked up on my own but a lady I work with gave it to me to read so I brought it in with me and decided to give it a try. I finished it within a few hours.

This is not at all what I expected from this book, I thought it would be cheesy and boring but I was completely entranced with the story and I could not wait to turn to the next page.

This is a retelling of sorts about Snow White. The story changes a little from the Disney version because the huntsman does not let Snow White go off alone; he accompanies her into the enchanted forest. The other characters from the story are still all there but play a different role. This version is a lot darker than I imagined it would be.

The difference in the story and the characters was a welcome change. Snow White is not a weak minded girl in this story. She leads her army into battle and learns to fight from the huntsman. Each character was different and I never found myself irritated with any of them.

This book really swept me off my feet. I was expecting to give this a one or a two start rating but I am giving it a four instead. Completely threw me off in a good way.

I am swaying towards watching the movie but I am not sure if this will make me like the book less. What is your opinion? Leave a comment below and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment