Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Review of Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor

Title: Dreams of Gods and Monsters
Author: Laini Taylor
Source:  Bought new
Series: Yes
Rating: 4/5








Goodreads Summary:

By way of a staggering deception, Karou has taken control of the chimaera rebellion and is intent on steering its course away from dead-end vengeance. The future rests on her, if there can even be a future for the chimaera in war-ravaged Eretz.

When Jael's brutal seraph army trespasses into the human world, the unthinkable becomes essential, and Karou and Akiva must ally their enemy armies against the threat. It is a twisted version of their long-ago dream, and they begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people.

And, perhaps, for themselves. Toward a new way of living, and maybe even love.

But there are bigger threats than Jael in the offing. A vicious queen is hunting Akiva, and, in the skies of Eretz ... something is happening. Massive stains are spreading like bruises from horizon to horizon; the great winged stormhunters are gathering as if summoned, ceaselessly circling, and a deep sense of wrong pervades the world.


*** This is the final book in the trilogy and this review will contain some spoilers to the first two books in the series ****.

This is the conclusion to the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series and I liked how it ended, but this book took me quite a while to get into which is not an issue I had with the previous two books in the series. I think this had to do with me partially and the changing views between different characters.

The story continues from where the second book left off. Karou is becoming more confident with her role, the only issue I had was I feel like she left Akiva out of a lot of what was going on with the battle against Jael. There was a lot of things I feel like she should have told Akiva instead of leaving him and the others in the dark. I loved that Zuzana and Mik were a large part of this novel as they have been since the beginning. I love that Laini includes Karou's best friends from the beginning to the end in her life, even when things are hard  and it is close to impossible to keep a friendship together she finds a way to do it. I love all of the characters in this novel, every single one, even the bad ones are intricately intertwined into the story.

I cannot say to much about the plot without giving a lot away. The plot slowly unrolled and once it did there was a lot happening all the way to the end.  The only thing I will recommend is stick with this book, I wanted to put this book down a few times, but I knew if I did I would regret it so I read slowly and loved it. This was a great end to the series and I am sad it is done but I am looking forward to more books from Laini Taylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment