Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Eyes Like Stars- Lisa Mantchev

Title: Eyes Like Stars
Author: Lisa Mantchev
Source Bought new
Series: Yes
Rating: 2.5/5















Welcome to the Théâtre Illuminata, where the actors of every play ever written can be found behind the curtain. They were born to play their parts, and are bound to the Théâtre by The Book—an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Bertie is not one of them, but they are her family—and she is about to lose them all and the only home she has ever known.

The synopsis of this book is what hooked me. It sounded so good when I was reading the inside cover at Chapters and it was in the bargain section so I could not pass it up so I bought it. The book sat on my shelf forever and the anticipation on when I could finally read it kept growing but once I actually started to read it I was really disappointed.

Bertie has no idea how she ended up at the Théâtre Illuminata. She has just been there for as long as she can remember. The other people who are at the theatre are there because they are in a play and are in the book which binds them to the theatre. They only way they can leave is if there page is taken out of the book.

I tried to keep in mind that Bertie has never been anywhere else but the theatre but I still had a hard time connecting with her. I thought she was very immature and I found her relationships with the male characters a little confusing. I had a hard time figuring out what she felt for them. It seemed like she was interested but she would change her mind a few pages later. It was hard to concentrate on the plot with her all over the place.  She was selfish, when things needed to be done she was only concerned with getting the answers she wanted while everyone else was trying to clean up around her.I loved the fairies from A Midsummer Night's Dream. I seen it in theatre once and fell in love with the story.  I loved how unique they are and how they are fitted into the story.

The plot is what drew me in and kept my interest, I loved the idea of a theatre where the characters from the plays come alive in the theatre. The book was so mysterious, I wanted to know how and why it managed to keep the characters there. There was such a good variety of plays and characters.

I wish I could have give this a higher rating but Bertie really bothered me and put a damper on the beautifully crafted concept behind the book. I may eventually continue on with the series but I just do not have any will to do so at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment