Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Beautiful Creatures (Graphic novel)- Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Title: Beautiful Creatures
Author: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Source: Borrowed from the library
Series: Yes
Rating: 4/5

There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.

At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.


Thoughts

So I have the hardcover of this sitting on my bookshelf. It's signed by both authors and I got it for super cheap on Bookcloseouts but I still have not read it. I don't even want to admit how long it has been sitting there. It's bad, so to encourage myself to get to this faster so I picked up the graphic novel at the library.

I really enjoyed that this was a graphic novel but I can also understand how the novel itself got mixed review. I think if I would have read the novel before the graphic novel I might not like it as much but this has fuled in interest in getting to this book soon.

Characters

I hope that I will get more out of the characters from the novel, I felt like I got a lot of the story but I didn't really connect with any of the characters. I liked that it was from the point of view of Ethan. This provided a completely different view to the story. Lena was a character I am not completely sure I understand or like. I found her a little frustrating at times but she did seem to care for Ethan and her family which made me like her a lot more than I thought I would in the beginning. I really liked the secondary characters, I loved how the authors brought all the characters together in such an intricate way and I look forward to reading the novel and finding out more about Ethan's and Lena's families.

Plot

This was quite a plot driven book for me,  the art made the story flow. I loved the mix of supernatural elements with a historical twist. It was really unique and I was completely sucked into the story. I loved every bit of it. The twist in the story kept it from just being a YA romance novel. I saw so much potential in this story and the art brought it to life for me and kept me hooked until the end.

Conclusion

Once I read the novel I will compare the two, I the graphic novel helped me to focus on the plot and I hope reading the novel I will be able to get more out of the characters. I thought this was really well done and I read it in one sitting.  I gave this a 4/5 and I hope I will love the novel and movie just as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment