Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Future of Us- Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler


Name: The Future of Us
Author: Jay Asher
Source: Bought new
Format: Hardcover
Rating: 4/5








Goodreads Summary:

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.
By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present.


WOW. It is amazing. I cannot put into words how amazing this book is. It is worth every penny. I devoured it as soon as I could. I tried to put it aside and read some older books first but I could not resist. I want to pass this around to everyone I know and beg them to read it as fast as they can. I am a huge fan of Asher's first book and so as soon as I heard this one was going to be in existence I needed to read it. I have not read anything Mackler has written but after reading this she is going to be added to my TBR author list.


I loved Josh. He was my favourite character. I felt terrible how Emma treated him. I didn't like how she kept wanting to change her life without any regard to how it would affect anyone else. By the end of the book I could see why Mackler and Asher had written her character in this way. I started to like her near the end.  Even though I did not like Emma I could relate to her and to Josh. I loved his happy personality, he never really got upset and his future showed how his great personality would carry into adulthood.

The theme was great, it was so unique. I can't even begin to explain how much I loved this book. I wanted to keep reading it. It was hard to put down. How everything tied together was so good. The characters and setting were realistic and the setting for the future made it feel present day.

I recommend this to everyone who is looking for a good book to read. It is a teen book but it is something that I could appreciate also. The character and the plot are amazing and so easy to relate to. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment