Monday, January 30, 2012

Frost- Marianna Baer

Title: Frost
Author: Marianna Baer
Format: Hardcover
Source: Borrowed
Rating: 3/5











Leena Thomas’s senior year at boarding school begins with a shock: Frost House, her cozy dorm of close friends, has been assigned an unexpected roommate: confrontational, eccentric Celeste Lazar. But while Leena’s anxiety about a threat to her sanctuary proves valid, it becomes less and less clear whether the threat lies with her new roommate, within Leena’s own mind, or within the very nature of Frost House itself. Mysterious happenings in the dorm, an intense triangle between Leena, Celeste, and Celeste’s brother, and the reawakening of childhood fears, all push Leena to take increasingly desperate measures to feel safe. Frost is the story of a haunting. As to whether the demons are supernatural or psychological . . . well, which answer would let you sleep at night?

I’m not completely sure how I feel about this book.  There were parts I loved and other parts I was not a big fan of. 
The characters has me feeling mixed emotions,  I was not a fan of Leena and David.  I found Leena to be weak and David creepy. As a couple I liked them, but when they were alone I did not feel an emotional attachment to them.  I preferred the background characters more, oddly enough.  I found David creepy without Leena. I was a fan of his protectiveness towards his sister at first but then it just became almost stalkerish.  I know he wanted to protect Celeste but it was creepy how much he was involved in her life. I also did not like how Leena always seem to rat Celeste out to her brother.  Leena starts out as this smart, confident girl then turns into this weak person at the end. I can understand part of the reason she becomes this way, but it is such a change from her original character.
The house was so creepy, I liked the story behind the house and how Baer made the house seem so alive and only a few people noticed what was going on. Creepy.  In a good way. She was descriptive enough I could picture the house as I was reading the book, it gave me chills.
I enjoyed the book, but I was not a fan of the protagonist. I wished she would have remained the same though out the book instead of changing roles.  I would read another book written by Baer. She is a talented writer and I would love to be sucked into another story of hers.
Happy Monday!  I hope everyone is having a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment