Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Here and Now- Ann Brashares

Title: The Here and Now
Author: Ann Brashares
Source: For review from the publisher
Series: Stand alone
Publication Date: April 8 2014
Rating: 2/5








Goodreads Summary:

Follow the rules. Remember what happened. Never fall in love.
This is the story of seventeen-year-old Prenna James, who immigrated to New York when she was twelve. Except Prenna didn’t come from a different country. She came from a different time—a future where a mosquito-borne illness has mutated into a pandemic, killing millions and leaving the world in ruins. 
Prenna and the others who escaped to the present day must follow a strict set of rules: never reveal where they’re from, never interfere with history, and never, ever be intimate with anyone outside their community. Prenna does as she’s told, believing she can help prevent the plague that will one day ravage the earth, but everything changes when Prenna falls for Ethan Jarves.


I was super excited to read this book because I love The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series so I was hoping that this would be a good book since I loved other books she wrote I would like this one too but it was disappointing. 


Preena immigrated to New York when she was 12, but she did not come from another country, she came from a different time. Preena comes from a future where a mosquito born illness has become a pandemic and kills millions. She is sent to the past to right the wrongs that brought the world to ruins, but she has a hard time following the rules when she meets Ethan Jarvis.


The idea of time travel to save the world from a plague is such a different idea and I was really hoping to love this. I loved the idea and the plot, but the story and the characters was not developed as well as I thought it would be. I found the characters frustrating and I did not feel like there was a lot of character development. There was no characters that I felt that really made the story. Preena starts out as an awesome character and I liked her but then she starts making some really dumb decisions and it went downhill from there. The love interest, Ethan was not much better unfortunately. He sees a girl appear out of nowhere when he is fishing one day and he cannot stop thinking about her. He seemed like a curious and interesting character, but as the story progressed, like Preena he started making some not so smart choices and I fell out of liking him quite quickly.


The plot sounded super interesting and I feel like the story could have had way more action, but instead the time travelers seemed more focused on learning about how to fit in with the present day instead of actually trying to do something about the plague that is going to happen in the future.

This was a flop for me unfortunately. I did not enjoy this book sadly, 

No comments:

Post a Comment