Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Farm- Amy McKay

Title: The Farm
Author: Emily Mckay
Source: Bought New
Series: Yes
Rating: 2/5















Summary:


Life was different in the Before: before vampires began devouring humans in a swarm across America; before the surviving young people were rounded up and quarantined. These days, we know what those quarantines are—holding pens where human blood is turned into more food for the undead monsters, known as Ticks. Surrounded by electrical fences, most kids try to survive the Farms by turning on each other…

And when trust is a thing of the past, escape is nearly impossible.


Thoughts:

I loved the premise of this book when I read the back of it plus the blurb said it was a mix of resident evil and The Hunger Games which sounded completely fabulous so I picked it up and read it as soon as I had time to squeeze it in. I was completely sucked into the story in the beginning and the farther I got into it I found it harder to get into and put it down for a bit and picked a few books in between in the hopes of having more enthusiasm with it.

Plot:

The plot was really intriguing. People being kept on farms like animals and vampires running things. Totally cool and original idea. Lily must keep her twin sister Mel safe on the farm. Mel is autistic and Lily promised her mom to watch out for Mel. In the before, Lily and Mel were just ordinary girls and now they are fighting to survive. Lily is plotting to leave the farm with her sister as soon as she can. One day a friend from the before comes to the farm.

Characters:

This is where the book went a little downhill for me, I loved Mel and her point of view. I loved seeing things through her eyes. I was not a fan of Lily. She drove me crazy by diving into things without thinking it through and not even noticing she was putting others in dancer with her carelessness. I thought she was a little judgemental of everyone and jumped to conclusions to quickly about other characters. Carter was a bit of a jerk too.

The ending

This is usually what makes or breaks a book for me. I really did like the ending but unfortunately it was not enough to turn things around for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment