Thursday, February 7, 2013

Dear Teen Me: Authors Write Letters to Their Teen Selves

Title: Dear Teen Me
Author: Multiple authors
Source: Borrowed from the library
Series: N/A
Rating: 4/5















Dear Teen Me includes advice from over 70 YA authors (including Lauren Oliver, Ellen Hopkins, and Nancy Holder, to name a few) to their teenage selves. The letters cover a wide range of topics, including physical abuse, body issues, bullying, friendship, love, and enough insecurities to fill an auditorium. So pick a page, and find out which of your favorite authors had a really bad first kiss? Who found true love at 18? Who wishes he’d had more fun in high school instead of studying so hard? Some authors write diary entries, some write letters, and a few graphic novelists turn their stories into visual art. And whether you hang out with the theater kids, the band geeks, the bad boys, the loners, the class presidents, the delinquents, the jocks, or the nerds, you’ll find friends--and a lot of familiar faces--in the course of Dear Teen Me.

It's really hard to write a review of a book that is essentially a collection of diaries. I feel like I am being slightly intrusive and getting an inside look into people's personal lives.

I really liked this book because there is a lot of things I would like to tell my teen self. I would tell myself not to worry that the boy you meet in the 9th grade will one day be the one you are getting married to and that your friends will stand by you no matter what and I would also tell myself I was going to lose my mom way to soon and it will hurt a lot but you will get through it.

This book was really touching, there was some really sad stories but I loved each one. I do not miss being a teenager. I miss not having as many worries and being care free but I am so glad I am out of high school and mostly acting like an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment