Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Blankets by Craig Thompson


Title: Blankets
Author: Craig Thompson
Source:  Borrowed from the library
Series: No
Rating: 5/5
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Goodreads Summary:
Wrapped in the landscape of a blustery Wisconsin winter, Blankets explores the sibling rivalry of two brothers growing up in the isolated country, and the budding romance of two coming-of-age lovers. A tale of security and discovery, of playfulness and tragedy, of a fall from grace and the origins of faith.
The first thing I notice about this book is how much of a beast this book is. It is massive but I read it in a day.  It is amazing. I bloody loved this book. The art was amazing, so much details in each photo. The story just grabbed me and I just wanted to stop everything and read it all day long. I did manage to squeeze in about 40 minutes of reading in on my lunch today which was pretty awesome.
This is a hard book to summarize. There is so much that happens that it is really hard to pin point the big plot points. The story follows the sibling rivalry of two brothers, as the brothers get older the story follows the oldest boy. This has a very large religion portion of it which I was a little weary about but the author made it work.
Craig and his brother Phil are forced to share a bed. They hate sharing a bed when they are little, Phil according to Craig hates to sleep and keeps him up and pees the bed while Phil just wants his brother to play with him. Craig starts becoming the main narrator and Phil fades into the background, only appearing when Craig tells a story about his childhood. Their parents were very religious and the story shows many characters who shaped Craig with their views.

This book was not on my list at all but it quickly got added after I read so many good reviews on it. I want to own a copy so I can read it whenever I please. Loved it so much. A 5/5 from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment