Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Beautiful Disaster- Jamie McGuire

Title: Beautiful Disaster
Author: Jamie McGuire
Source: Bought new
Series: Yes
Rating: 2/5








Abby Abernathy decides to re-create herself when she starts college. She does not drink or swear and believes she has given herself enough distance from her past. She tries to keep this image up until she meets Travis Maddox who has a reputation for being a player. Abby tries her best to avoid Travis while he does his best to get her attention. She makes a bet with him and the stakes are high. If he loses, no sex for a month and if he wins then she has to live with him for a month.

I had so many issues with this book. I knew going into it that this was to be expected but the amount of things that make me roll my eyes was astounding. Abby was hard to like but I did at times find myself admiring her ability to stand up for herself. I liked her on her own but once she was around Travis, the smart, independent girl disappeared. She blew her friends off to spend all of her time with Travis and constantly ditched them if he told her to. I also had a lot of issues with Travis. He was super controlling. Their relationship was unhealthy, he was constantly telling Abby what she could and could not do and when she did not listen to him he would have a temper tantrum. Abby's roommate Kara points out his behaviour to Abby and she completely ignores it.  I do not know if my opinion of him would change if I read the companion novel from his point of view but as of right now I do not think highly of him. The saving grace of this novel was America and Shipley. They were adorable and even when they fought or one of them did something stupid, they made up and I loved them. I could read an entire book about just those two.

The plot had a lot of gaps in it where it felt like was missing pages or a thought or sentence was stopped midway and never continued. The romance between Travis and Abby felt too fast and she let him in too easily for have so many trust issues. This was a quick read, I completed it in two days but I have so many issues with it. I will read the companion to see if my opinion improves but overall I was really disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment