Thursday, February 23, 2012

Don't Breathe A Word- Holly Cupala

Title: Don't Breathe A Word

Author: Holly Cupala

Format: Soft cover

Rating: 4/5












Joy Delamere is suffocating...

From asthma, which has nearly claimed her life. From her parents, who will do anything to keep that from happening. From delectably dangerous Asher, who is smothering her from the inside out.

Joy can take his words - tender words, cruel words - until the night they go too far.

Now, Joy will leave everything behind to find the one who has offered his help, a homeless boy called Creed. She will become someone else. She will learn to survive. She will breathe... if only she can get to Creed before it’s too late.

Set against the gritty backdrop of Seattle’s streets and a cast of characters with secrets of their own, Holly Cupala’s powerful new novel explores the subtleties of abuse, the meaning of love, and how far a girl will go to discover her own strength.


This book is intense. I read it in a day. It was so good. Joy is being smothered by everyone in her life, especially by her boyfriend Asher. After a night when Asher goes too far Joy leaves home and lives on the streets of Seattle trying to survive without being found by Asher or anyone else from her former life. She meets people along the way who are there to help and others who are there to take advantage. All of the characters in this book suprised me. I changed my opinion about a lot of the characters a few times as a new twist showed another side of them. I loved it.

I can relate to Joy with the asthma. I have had it since I was a teenager and I know the feeling when your lungs are against you. Luckily I have a supportive family and a amazing boyfriend who I have been with for eight years who has always been there to help me when I needed him, especially when it got so bad I had to go to the hospital.

I truly did like Joy. I wish she would have found a better way to tell Asher to suck it, but I am glad she did find a way out even if it was not the best way. Her family surprised me, I thought they were heartless,but in the end I seen how amazing they were.

This is an amazing book of the hardships that people who live on the streets deal with daily. It was honest, Cupala did not hold back or sugar coat anything.

I knew I was going to love this book, but I was suprised how much I loved it. I loved the characters and the story. It was so well written. This is one of my top reads so far this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment