Thursday, February 2, 2012

Winter Town- Stephen Emond

Title: Winter Town
Author: Stephen Emond
Format: Hardcover
Source: Borrowed
Rating: 4/5











Every winter, straight-laced, Ivy League bound Evan looks forward to a visit from Lucy, a childhood pal who moved away after her parent's divorce. But when Lucy arrives this year, she's changed. The former "girl next door" now has chopped dyed black hair, a nose stud, and a scowl. But Evan knows that somewhere beneath the Goth, "Old Lucy" still exists, and he's determined to find her... even if it means pissing her off.
Garden State meets Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist in this funny and poignant illustrated novel about opposites who fall in love.
Winter Town was not at all what I expected.  It took me the first 50 or so pages to fall in love with the story and the characters. I enjoyed the art throughout the book, but I felt like it was not really connected to the story.  The art had to do with Lucy and Evan but while I was reading it I felt like I was being pulled away from the main story.  This book was deeper than I thought it would be.  I went into it expecting it to be about a sullen teenager and her anguished best friend but it was so much more.
Evan was the character what I could relate to the most. The pressure of trying to please your family while also making the choices that are best for you is something everyone can relate to.  I also enjoyed how realistic he was, he was trying to meet his dad’s high expectations but he also did things he enjoyed and was not afraid to have diversity.  Evan looks like he will be a straight A student who does everything right, but he makes mistakes and chooses his own path which his parents might not agree with. I loved him. 
Lucy. Oh how to describe her.  I truly thought she was going to be the poster child for teenagers but she turned out to be more than that. She had issues in Georgia that she needed to deal with and she did fall in with people that were not looking out for her but she realized this and pulled herself back out and she managed to get herself back on track and into what she wanted.
Evan’s grandma was hilarious. She reminded me of Stephanie Plum’s grandma (Note: If you have not read this series, you should immediately because it is awesome).  
I really enjoyed this book, it did not make my favourite list but it was a great read and I look forward to more books by this author. The cover was so cool. I loved the paper cut outs as snow on the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment