Monday, February 20, 2012

Why We Broke Up- Daniel Handler

Happy Family day to all the Canadians out there! I have to work today, time in a half. Yay. Anyways...
Title: Why We Broke Up
Author: Daniel Handler
Format: Hardcover
Rating: 3/5













I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened.

Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped

Ed and Min are breaking up. The story begins with Min giving Ed a letter to explain why they broke up. She also gives him a box of things that they accumulated while they were together.
When the story started I did not understand why Min was breaking up with Ed, their relationship appears t be stable. Not perfect, but realistic. I was team Ed for 99% of the book; I thought Min was a little weird and slightly judgemental. I also thought the same about Al, which once I finished the book I realized how silly this way. Poor Al. I underestimated your coolness.
Ed how could you fall so far from my good graces? Why did you do what you do that to Min. I cannot believe I was such a fan for so long. The ending made me want to smack him which I unfortunately could not do; I hope Min’s letter hurts you. Jerk.
Moving on I love Al and I am so sad I did not realize how cool you were until it was too late. I sincerely apologize. I wish we were IRL friends because you would be amazing. You would be that friend you could call at anytime and talk to. The best kind of friend to have.
Oh Min I wish I could smack Ed for you.  I think you needed him to break your heart to be able to realize what great friends you have and how much better you could do than Ed.  I hope you find someone that actually deserves you.
This is a slightly ranting review, but I needed to get my frustration out. I feel much better now.  I loved the cover and of course the illustrations in the book. So awesome. I enjoyed this book, but I would only give it a 3/5. The final few chapters I really started to love the book, but it was the first3/4 that was only good to me which is why it is only getting a three.
It is worth reading. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment