Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Spiderwick Chronicles- Holly Black & Tony DiTerlizzi

Title: The Spiderwick Chronicles (Book 1-5)

Author: Holly Black & Tony DiTerlizzi

Source: Bought used

Series: Yes

Rating: 4.5/5




It all started with a mysterious letter left at a tiny bookstore for authors Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black. Its closing lines: "We just want people to know about this. The stuff that has happened to us could happen to anyone." Little could they imagine the remarkable adventure that awaited them as they followed Jared, Simon, and Mallory Grace and a strange old book into a world filled with elves, goblins, dwarves, trolls, and a fantastical menagerie of other creatures. The oddest part is in entering that world, they didn't leave this one!

Five captivating books!

One thrilling adventure!

The Spiderwick Chronicles

This is the best middle grade book I have read in a long time. I do not read MG a lot but I love when I do that I can discover gems like this one. This is a series that would be great for those reluctant readers.  It was hard to differentiate through the different books; they each flowed smoothly into the next book. I am glad I bought all five, if I didn’t I would have been dying to read the next one.
I absolutely loved this story. The grace children move with their mother into their great- aunt Lucinda’s house after she is sent to a psychiatric hospital. As they are settling into the house they discover a secret room containing a field guide about fairies and other mythical creatures that they assumed only lived in fairy tales. As Jared, Mallory and Simon discover the secrets of the mythical creatures that surround them they balance curiosity and safety.
The children stuck together through the tough times that led them to move to the Grace estate.  They fight like all siblings do, but they were there for each other when they needed each other. Each book features pictures and illustrations which made the story come alive.
I enjoyed all the creatures introduced in the story. My favourite was the griffin; his relationship with Simon was so sweet.
The series is absolutely sweet. I love Holly Black and this series just adds to my admiration of her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment