Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pandemonium- Lauren Oliver


Title: Pandemonium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Series: Yes
Format: Hardcover
Source: Borrowed
Rating: 4.5/5












I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.

Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.

One of my favourite books of 2012. It is only April and I have already added another book to my list.

I enjoyed Delirium, but Pandemonium blew me completely away. I am going to admit, I had a hard time getting into Delirium. The ending has me begging for Pandemonium and now I am begging for book three so I will know how it all ends.  Oliver starts off where she ended in the third book. Completely smooth like you reached the end of the chapter and you’re starting a new one. If it is possible I found this to be faster paced than Delirium was. I found we learned a lot about the world inside the confinement in book one and book two was almost exclusively in the wilds.

Lena has made it to the wilds; she has escaped the confinement and treatment. She must now learn how to survive.  She is rescued by Raven who takes her in and integrates her into the world of the wilds. I found Lena to be weak in Delirium but she grows so much as a character and becomes a strong character.

I liked how the story reveals life on both sides of the fence and explains how people got there.  The story was full of twist and turns.  The story was never choppy; it was always smooth and fast paced. When I was reading it I was completely absorbed into the story and lost track of the world around me.

I compared Julian to Alex constantly. I could not help it. I am still totally team Alex, but Julian won a little of my heart too.  He understood where Lena came from and how brain washed DFA makes you.  I want to see more Julian in book three, he was just starting to come around and enjoy his life. Please I beg for more of him.

I have to get this out of the way; there was some swearing and book throwing at the end. Why must I wait until the third book to find out what happens next. This is so unfair.  The ending left more of a cliff-hanger than the first book did. I am now dying to read the next book, but I am making wild assumptions in my mind while I impatiently wait for it. Did anyone else feel this way If you did leave a comment below so  I can listen to someone else rant and rave about this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment