Thursday, November 29, 2012

34 Pieces of You- Carmen Rodrigues

Title: 34 Pieces of You
Author: Carmen Rodrigues
Source: Borrowed from the library
Series: No
Rating: 5/5 














A dark and moving novel—reminiscent of Thirteen Reasons Why—about the mystery surrounding a teenage girl’s fatal overdose.

There was something about Ellie... Something dangerous. Charismatic. Broken. Jake looked out for her. Sarah followed her lead. And Jess kept her distance, and kept watch.

Now Ellie’s dead, and Jake, Sarah, and Jess are left to pick up the pieces. All they have are 34 clues she left behind. 34 strips of paper hidden in a box beneath her bed. 34 secrets of a brief and painful life.

Jake, Sarah, and Jess all feel responsible for what happened to Ellie, and all three have secrets of their own. As they begin to confront the darkest truths about themselves, they will also find out what Ellie herself had been hiding all along....


This book made me feel like I did after I finished reading Thirteen Reasons Why. I felt so emotionally drained in a good way. I read this in one sitting, I could not physically put this book down. It was so amazingly good. This was a mix of Ballads of Suburbia and Thirteen Reasons Why which are both amazing books.

This books switches between the main characters point of view.  Jake and Sarah have a rocky past together while Jess is treated like Sarah's little sister and nothing more for the majority of the novel. Ellie seems to be the person who is holding them together. Once she is gone, Sarah struggles with her own issues, while Jess seems to fade into the background. Jake moves away to school and avoids Sarah. 

These characters all had secrets, even Jess. I loved them all, especially Jess. I thought she was going to be a quiet background character who would only be seen as Sarah's sister and nothing more. Once more is revealed about Ellie, we see a new side of Jess and find out how close her and Ellie really were.

The plot was really good, but really sad. I was devastated that  Ellie died. I know it happens in the beginning but to see the people she left behind and how they were affected by her death. 

This book is just so good and I really cannot put into words how amazing it was. The only thing I can say about it is read it as soon as possible. It is just so good. I hope that Carmen Rodrigues writes more books soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment