Thursday, November 8, 2012

Jenny Pox- JL Bryan

Title: Jenny Pox
Author: JL Bryan
Source: Free on Kobo
Series: Yes
Rating: 4.5/5














Eighteen-year-old Jenny Morton has a horrific secret: her touch spreads a deadly supernatural plague, the "Jenny pox." She lives by a single rule: Never touch anyone. A lifetime of avoiding any physical contact with others has made her isolated and painfully lonely in her small rural town.

Then she meets the one boy she can touch. Jenny feels herself falling for Seth...but if she's going to be with him, Jenny must learn to use the deadly pox inside her to confront his ruthless and manipulative girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all.

Not recommended for readers under eighteen.

Eighteen year old Jenny is not allowed to touch anyone or else they will becoming infected with the "Jenny Pox". She has been doing pretty well with avoiding people and is in her last year of high school when she meets a boy who she can touch. She starts to fall for Seth but he is dating Ashleigh who is manipulative and holds a secret that is more powerful than anyone could imagine.

This book can get graphic. I would not suggest this for a younger audience. I read the reviews before I decided to read it and in the beginning I could not understand why such a warning would be put on this book but once I got into it I understood completely. The twist and turns this book had was crazy. I loved the beginning but I had no idea how this could be made into a story but Bryan managed it and it blew me away.

The characters were very old fashion. The setting was in a small town where religion was a big part of everyday life. The setting almost reminded me of a modern day Salem witch hunt which is the best way I could explain it. Ashleigh is the preacher's daughter who on the outside appears to be perfect in every way while Jenny is seen as more of the charity case who lives with her alcoholic father and is picked on her wearing gloves giving her the nickname of "Jenny Mittens". Seth is first perceived as the jock boyfriend of the most popular girl in school with the rich family who owns half the town but like Ashleigh he has his own secrets that he reveals to Jenny. 

Towards the end of the book I started to feel like this story was running out of steam and I was afraid there would be an unsatisfying ending but Bryan threw in one last twist that makes me want to continue this series so I can find out more. I could never have guessed where the story was going, I thought I would have it figured out and something would happen that threw me completely off and I would start wondering where things were going next. There was some sexy times in here and some pretty graphic violent parts but if they were not in the story it would not have had such a power hold and the best part was this book was free. I know it is currently free on Kindle, Apple, Sony, Kobo, and Smashword so check it out it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment