Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Allegiant- Veronica Roth

Title: Allegiant
Author: Veronica Roth
Source: Bought New
Series: Yes
Rating: 5/5








***This review will contain spoilers***

Goodreads Summary:
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.


This review has taken me a few days to write because it took me a little while to get my thoughts together. I am still in shock but I think I will be for a long time. I bought this the day it released and started reading it immediately but I took my time with it. I wanted to rush through and read it quickly but I made myself slow down and savor the story. I avoided the internet and reviews until after I finished it to make sure I was not going to be spoiled. 

This picks up where Insurgent left off. Tris and Tobias are still in Chicago and the city is still being run by Evelyn. The story is a dual point of view from both Tris and Tobias. A lot of things come out during this book and not all of them are so nice. This book I think was the darkest of the series, the flaws in the characters become apparent. A lot is revealed about Tobias that really surprise me. This almost sinister side of him becomes very apparent in this novel. He does not heed Tris's warning about Nita and blindly follows her instructions where Uriah is hurt badly.  Tris has grown a lot as a character since the beginning when she was just a girl from the abnegation faction to this girl who left her family behind to join the dauntless. She was very mature and level headed throughout the book. Her and Four still fought but I felt like she handled it like an adult and took it all in stride. I feel like she grew into this amazing well rounded character. Caleb is still a jerk. He tried to repair things with his sister but he still when he can takes the cowards way out of things and Tris never fully trust him again.

The plot was crazy. It starts with them leaving the city and going to the outside then they discover David who tells them their entire city is a experiment and there is no such thing as divergent. They are divided by being genetically pure and genetically damaged. The pure are mostly the scientist who are running the experiments while the GD are trying to cause an conflict. The creations of the factions are finally given an explanation and how Chicago is not the only "experiment". This book gave a lot of back story to the unanswered questions.

The ending was sad. I knew something was coming but I was not completely sure what it was. When it was announced that their would be a dual point of view I got suspicious of what was going to happen but I was in complete denial. I hated that both Uriah and Tris died in this novel. They were both such amazing characters and I know that this is the only ending that fits the series but I am still sad and in shock. I was happy that Tris got to see her mother in the end but still. Tobias is completely heart-broken and becomes very withdrawn. The epilogue is 2 1/2 years later when Tris's friends and Tobias are preparing to scatter her ashes. Tobias is just starting to heal very slowly. It hurt to see him so heart-broken. This ending was really amazing. I am sad about how it ended but I don't think their could have been another ending that could have made this series end on such a spectacular note. I love this entire series and I gave Allegiant a 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment