Thursday, November 21, 2013

Dairy Queen- Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Title: Dairy Queen
Author: Catherine Gilbert Murdock
Source: Bought new (kindle)
Series: Yes
Rating: 4/5









Goodreads Summary:

After spending her summer running the family farm and training the quarterback for her school's rival football team, sixteen-year-old D.J. decides to go out for the sport herself, not anticipating the reactions of those around her.

D.J. is in charge of running her family's farm after her father injures himself. D.J. makes a deal with the quarterback of her high school rival team. Brian, the rival quarterback agrees to help D.J. on her family's farm if she will train him.

I was really put off by the idea of this book. A girl who is running her families farm and wants to be a football player? I thought it sounded a little odd but I seen tons of awesome things about it so when it went on sale on Kindle I grabbed it.

I like seeing the world form D.J.'s point of view. She is not the most popular girl and her biggest concern is taking care of the family farm. She was such a different character than most girls in YA novels.  I wish she would have stood up for herself a little earlier but that is really the only thing I could really fault her on. Brian was kind of a jerk. No, actually he was a jerk for most of the book. He had his nice moments then he went back to being a pretty big jerk, mostly to D.J. . He does end up being pretty charming. My favorite character was Curtis. He is just so sweet and ahhh. No words for how cute he is. He is just so quite but he has a lot of things boiling under the surface that he does not share with anyone. 

The story is a little odd and does take awhile to get into. The idea of a girl playing football is not a new one but the way the author took the story and made it into this amazing, cute book was spectacular. D.J's older brother played football and she decides she wants to join the team. The only problem is her dad stopped talking to her two older brothers when they left for college and continued to play football and of course the small fact that her school only has a boys team. D.J. works hard to make it onto the team but if the team votes not to let her play, all her hard work will be for nothing.

I must apologize for my rambling review of this book. I just really liked it and my thoughts are all over the place with it. If you have not picked this book up, I highly recommend you do. It has it's light and heavy moments. I gave it a 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment