Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Best and Hardest Thing- Pat Brisson

Title: The Best and Hardest Thing
Author: Pat Brisson
Source: Borrowed from the library
Series: No
Rating: 4/5
















Goodreads Summary:

Fifteen-year-old Molly Biden has always been studious, dependable, some might even say saintly. And she's sick of herself. So when she spots mysterious bad boy Grady Dillon, she devises a plan to make herself over into someone new, someone who will attract Grady's attention. She succeeds but a little too well. When Molly discovers she?s pregnant, she's forced to make the hardest choice of her life. This addictive readable portrayal of Molly's struggle to accept her pregnancy and the fact that her life will never be the same is told entirely in poetry, from sonnets to haiku.

Thoughts

I just recently heard about this book. I was watching a book haul where this book was mention (I cannot remember the name of the youtubber) but it sounded interesting so I ordered it from the library.

This book is written in verse from the point of view of fifteen year old Molly. She hates being considered a goody two shoes so she starts dressing differently and attracts the attention of the school bad boy Grady. When she finds out she is pregnant she struggles with the decisions she has to make. Does she want to keep the baby?

Molly is a frustrating teenager, her grandmother is not shy about telling Molly to be careful and even provides her with contraceptives. She tried so hard to attract Grady even though he is clearly just using her. Even though Molly was completely frustrating, she also made some hard choices. I did want to shake her for making bad choices but I also found she was not completely clueless. She does not shy away from responsibility, and does not try to blame anyone else for the choices she has made.

The story is pretty predictable but even though I knew what was going to happen, I still wanted to keep reading, I wanted to see what Molly was going to do next and how she was going to react. This is a super quick read, I think it took me maybe an hour to read it. I did enjoy it and I gave it a 4/5. It kept my attention even it was predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment